Friday, September 4, 2009

Modifying Tomcat admin port in xampp control panel

After suffering through several hours of pulling hair and gnashing teeth while trying to figure out how to change the port location for Tomcat, I finally found a solution.

For those of you who work with xampp, the following image should be familiar:




In my installation, I already have a Glassfish server listening on port 8080, so I changed Tomcat to listen on 8082. That works fine, but if I click on the xampp admin button for Tomcat, it sends the browser to the default port (8080) instead of the actual port in use.

I hunted through php.ini files and Googled the heck out of things, but only found references to go to the application's conf/ directory and change the value there. But, alas, xampp control panel knows nothing about these changes. A colleageue at work said he thought he saw a xampp.ini file a long time ago, but it no longer exists, so I thought I would try it, since nothing else in the help, FAQ, or other documentation seems to work.

In the /xampp directory I created a file named xampp.ini and placed the following in it and restarted xampp control panel:


[PORTS]
tomcat = 8082

Then I tried clicking on the Tomcat admin button on xampp control panel, and the browser came up with the correct URL.

Sweet!

oh, yeah, this is on a Windows 2003 Server system in case anyone is curious...

1 comment: